The Coconut Oil Miracle (Book Review)
The Coconut Oil Miracle, 5th Edition, by Bruce Fife is a must read!
Now in its fifth edition, this revised and updated version has even more information on the benefits of coconut oil. Bruce Fife provides all the answers about commons myths and misconceptions about coconut oil.
We have heard countless times that saturated fats are bad. There seems to be a whole marketing campaign declaring war on fats. Without doing much research it is easy to become blinded by false claims and marketing messages, but for those who want to know the truth about fats this is the book for you.
Fife outlines the differences between saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated fats and gives a basic understanding of the processes that make fats good or bad. He makes it easy to understand the science behind coconut oil and the effects it has on the human body. This is no easy feat since nutrition is so heavily science based. Even though I am a dietitian, with a minor in science, Fife explained the differences between fats in a way that made it even clearer for me to understand. The way he explained it made sense instantaneously.
Chapters in the book include The Truth about Coconut Oil, Understanding Fats, A New Weapon Against Heart Disease, Nature’s Marvelous Germ Fighter, Eat Fat, Lose Weight, Beautiful Skin and Hair, and Coconut Oil as Food and Medicine. Fife also provides a nutrition plan and dozens of delicious recipes!
I definitely recommend reading this book for yourself, but in the meantime, here are some reasons why coconut oil is so amazing!
Coconut oil is perfect for cooking with because it is highly resistant to spoilage (long shelf life) and heat resistant. It also has countless health benefits including:
- Promote weight loss
- Help protect against heart disease, diabetes, and arthritis
- Reduce the risk of atherosclerosis and related illnesses
- Reduce the risk of cancer and other degenerative conditions
- Help prevent bacterial, viral, and fungal (including yeast) infections
- Strengthen the immune system
- Help prevent osteoporosis
- Help control diabetes
- Support healthy metabolic function
- Provide an immediate source of energy
- Supply fewer calories than other fats
- Supply important nutrients necessary for good health
- Improve digestion and nutrient absorption
- Help prevent premature aging and wrinkling of the skin
Have you read The Coconut Oil Miracle or do you regularly use coconut oil? I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions!